Diver using a flashlight to point out the scattered structure elements and items of the wreck.


The location of the wreck is north of Utö, to the north of Gråharuna Island.

The wreck has been designated a protected area since 2004, based on the Antiquities Act, by the decision of the Finnish Heritage Agency. Diving and anchoring within the protected area are prohibited without permission from the Finnish Heritage Agency.

The wreck is of a wooden-hulled vessel, approximately 17 meters long and 5 meters wide. It was a carvel-built, two-masted ship, constructed using oak as the building material. The ship sank intact. The masts have fallen to the right side of the hull, as well as the right side of the hull itself. The left side has partially collapsed into the wreck. The rudder has turned to the left, next to the stern post. The ship had a flat bottom. The wooden material of the wreck is heavily decayed.

The wreck was discovered in 1998 during a recreational diving camp held by the Finnish Defense Forces' divers. The diving club "Kupla ry" conducted non-invasive documentation of the wreck with permission from the Finnish Heritage Agency in the early 2000s.

In 2005, the Finnish Heritage Agency took samples from the wreck for dendrochronological dating. The samples were analyzed at Lund University. Some of the samples were oak, and some were pine. Only three out of ten samples could be dated (two oak samples and one pine sample). The trees used in building the ship were likely felled in the second half of the 16th century. The oak wood used in the construction likely originated from Jutland or Schleswig-Holstein.

The vessel carried various clay vessels as cargo, which were dated to the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries, as well as sinkers. A coin was also found on the wreck, minted in England at the Tower Mint between 1505 and 1509. Some artifacts have been recovered and are now part of the collections of the Finnish Maritime Museum managed by the Finnish Heritage Agency (SMM1398:1-4 and SMM32002:1).